Friday, January 7, 2011

2011 in 2011

I really hate New Year's Resolutions. They seem so futile. Millions of people feel a sudden sense of motivation on January 1 and resolve to change their ways, but it seems inevitable that one of two things will happen:
  1. They get burnt out from trying to do too much, or
  2. Their new found motivation slowly dwindles away to nothing.
The end result of both of course is that you give up on your resolution - at least until December 31 when the whole sorry cycle starts again.
Now that 2010, a year that turned my world upside down, inside out and back to front, is over, my attention has turned to 2011. With that comes, dare I say it, a New Year's Resolution!

It's no secret that I'm domestically challenged.
It's not that I don't want a clean house and an organised life - it's just that I can't seem to get to the point where my house is clean, and even if I did I don't have the good habits to see it stay that way!
In 2011 all that is going to change.
Step 1: Cut down time spent online. My Internet addiction is simply a procrastination and avoidance of doing the things that I should be doing (such as housework!). I will stick to the essentials only and use the Internet to help, rather than hinder, my efforts.

Step 2: Form new cleaning habits. I have joined flylady.net (an example of using online addiction for good!) and hope that following her plans will form new habits that keep the CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) away!

Step 3: Declutter.

The final step is one that I am particularly excited about. 

I have signed on to do "2011 in 2011" - this year I will remove 2011 things from my house! Yes, you heard correctly - I will throw away, donate, freecycle or sell 2011 things that are cluttering my house. This averages out to 5.5 items a day. 

Those clothes I don't wear? GONE!
Those books I bought years ago to read "one day" (and one day never came)? GONE!
Those kitchen items that are collecting dust at the back of the cupboard? GONE!
Having a tangible goal and support from other people that are also aiming for 2011 is very motivating. At day 7 my total is 106, averaging 15 items a day.
I look forward to inviting you all over for coffee (something I am currently too embarrassed to do) sometime soon!

1 comment:

  1. great idea! i'll have my baby cd back if you didn't end up using it! thats another item gone!!!

    ReplyDelete